Bus Stop Safety Etiquette
Student Bus Stop Etiquette:
- Wait at the stop five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- Stand in a line while waiting at the bus stop.
- No horseplay is allowed at or around bus stop.
- Stay at least 10 feet away from the road until the bus has come to a complete stop.
- Do not approach the school bus until it is completely stopped, lights are on, and the stop arm is deployed with red lights flashing
- Always remember you are a guest at the bus stop. Be courteous, do not litter and respect the property of others.
- Dress according to weather conditions.
- Do not chase the bus.
- Do not cross behind the bus.
- Personal items brought on the bus must be able to fit in a student’s lap without blocking the aisle. Balls, bats, frisbees, etc. are not permissible.
- Keep in mind that the transportation policy mirrors the school policy regarding the use of electronics.
Parent Bus Stop Etiquette:
- Please do not park on both sides of the street while waiting for the bus. (It makes it harder for the bus to get through, and do not block driveways.)
- Please do not impede the movement of the bus.
- Please wait until after the bus leaves to pull away in your personal vehicle. (It is safer for any students still in the area.)
- Please say fairwells and have students standing and ready to board at bus stop five minutes prior to the bus arrival time.
- Have students at the bus stop five minutes prior to the bus arrival time.
- Please do not chase the bus.
- Please do not park within 100 feet of a bus stop. (The buses are approximately 40 feet long and need room to get to the stops.)
- Get to know the other parents at your student's stop.
- Familiarize your students with the bus stop location and the walking path to it.
- Coordinate “walking pools” where students walk in groups to the bus stop.
- Do not allow sports games to take place at the bus stop.
- Please keep students out of the street and at least 10 feet away from the curb.
If you have questions or suggestions, please contact the transportation department at 918-259-4550.