How do I prove residency?
I. Accepted documentation would be a current (within 30 days) water, gas or electric bill.
- If the bill is in a step-parents name, a marriage license must also be provided.
- If you are currently building or have just purchased a new home, a signed contract with closing date may be accepted.
We understand that sometimes temporary housing arrangements are needed for families. Many times, guardians are added as the second person on one of these bills and that is sufficient proof of residency.
II. If the standard above options are not possible, we will accept THREE of the following: bills such as cable or cell phone/legal documents/benefit papers/lease/bank statement, etc. with the guardian name and address of current residence that is within the last 30 days. Junk mail will not be accepted. This allows families in transition a year to work towards fulfilling the standard proof of residency requirement outlined in the paragraph above for the second year of attendance.
III. There are some personal situations that do not allow for options I or II to be reasonable solutions to enroll a student. School-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Assistance program if in any of the following situations:
- Sharing the housing of friends or family due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason
- Staying in motels or camp grounds due to the lack of an adequate alternative
- Staying in shelters or transitional housing
- Sleeping in cars, parks, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, or similar settings.
If you are unable to provide proof of residence and feel you may qualify for this program to enroll in BAPS, please contact Valerie Radford at 918-259-7497 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If an approval form is given by this office, please bring the signed form to the Enrollment Center to complete the student enrollment.
More information can be found at baschools.org/McKinney-Vento.