Planning Your Retirement
What to Do First
- Notify both your principal or supervisor in writing AND notify HR with your intent to retire.
- To get the retirement process started, employees will need to complete the Pre-Retirement Information Verification form. To receive verification that you have 120 days of unused sick days, you may email Dusty Dilldine at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact him at 918-259-5714 requesting this documentation. Once the form has been completed and you have received verification from Mr. Dilldine (if needed), you will mail the form directly to Oklahoma Teachers Retirement System (TRS) at the address listed on the form.
- Once TRS has received the Verification form, they will mail you a TRS packet. You will then need to complete the necessary information and then take the Employment Retirement Verification form to Dusty Dilldine in the payroll department. He will complete this form and send directly to TRS.
- TRS will mail out a second information packet. Once you receive this packet, contact Dusty Dilldine and he will walk you through what is required.
- Please be sure to send a letter to human resources stating you intend to retire. Please include the effective date you wish to retire. You may send this letter via email to Adrienne Stout at email@example.com, bring it by HR directly, by mail or through interoffice mail.
- For employees interested in continuing benefits after retirement, 10 years of eligible service with Teachers Retirement System (TRS) is required.
What to Do About EGID Benefits
Employees can keep all the coverage you think you will need in retirement. You can drop or reduce benefits later, but you cannot add health, dental or life insurance after you leave active employment. Plan changes are not allowed at retirement. Retirement is not a qualifying event that allows you to make changes, however, you can change plans during the annual Option Period.
Complete the Application for Retiree/Vested/Non-Vest/Defer Insurance Coverage form. Be sure to sign your application and mail it to EGID at least 30 days before the date you leave active employment.
Retirement Ahead Seminars
Each year, the human resources department hosts a “Retirement Ahead” seminar in January and May. Information discussed during these seminars include TRS, 403(b), benefits and other helpful retirement information.