Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Broken Arrow Public Schools


Ajax Loading Image


Frequently Asked Questions

What will my 6th grade schedule look like?

The middle school schedule consist of 7 periods a day. There are 6 classes that are required (core classes). They are Reading, English, Social Studies, Science, Math , P.E. and Spanish. Sixth grade students may choose one of the following : band, orchestra, or art/music as their elective selection.

How can I talk with my student's teachers?

Each teacher has a voice mail and an e-mail address. You may also set up a conference through the counseling office. If you have any concerns or questions we encourage you to contact the school as soon as possible. Conferences are held at 7:30 a.m. and 2:40 p.m. or during the teacher's planning period.

How can I get homework for my child when he or she is ill?

If your child is absent two consecutive days, you may call the counseling office on the 2nd day before 8:30 a.m. We will gather assignments and have them in the counseling office for someone to pick up after 2:40 p.m . Your child should have some homework every night. If he/she does not, you may want to visit with the teacher(s). Sixth grade parents may also call the homework hot line for weekly assignments (Ph. # 665-5159). You may also access math assignments for 7th and 8th graders with this phone number.

Can I get my schedule changed?

We have worked very hard explaining schedule choices and balancing our class sizes. Therefore, it will be very difficult to change any schedules after they are handed out in August. Thanks for your understanding.

When do report cards come out?

Reports of progress are given to all students every 6 weeks. A report card will be issued at the semester reflecting a cumulative grade for the past 18 weeks.

What does it take to get on the Honor Roll?

After the 1st semester, grades are averaged to determine which students have qualified for either of the honor rolls. The Principal's Honor Roll requires a 4.0 grade average and the Thunderbird Honor Roll requires a 3.0 or higher. In the spring, students on the Principal's Honor Roll will receive an invitation to a special breakfast hosted by the Childers' staff and the PTA and held in their honor.

What is N.J.H.S.?

For 7th and 8th grade students who excel in academics we have the National Junior Honor Society. This is a service and leadership organization which requires a 3.5 grade point average and demonstrated citizenship characteristics.

What is the President's Education Award?

Each year we honor our 8th graders who have maintained a 3.5 grade average or higher during their middle school years and have achieved high scores on standardized testing. These students are awarded the President's Education Award. This is an award that recognizes academic achievement on a national level and is signed by the President of the United States and the U.S. Secretary of Education. The award consists of a certificate and a lapel pin.

What are some clubs in which my sixth grader could be involved?

NAC CLUB: Nutrition Advisory Council (NAC) functions as a liaison between the cafeteria and the students. They participate in tasting new food items, conducting food surveys, and keeping the student body nutritionally informed. Membership is limited to 22 members at all schools.

STUDENT COUNCIL: Student Council is a leadership and service organization. They organize and sponsor special events at school. Some examples of these may include: Favorite College T-Shirt Day, Geography Awareness Week, Earth Day, and Adopt-a-Mile Clean-Up. Representatives are elected in their first hour classes.

How is my child's schedule created?

The computer creates the schedule for the students based on their selections on their enrollment cards. This is why we emphasize to the students that their selections on the enrollment card are important! Based on this information, the computer takes the requests and makes their schedule. At Childers, we do not allow teachers to be selected by parents.

How long do students have to request a schedule change?

Students pick up their schedule one week before school begins. They can request schedule changes until the start of the 2nd week of school during the Fall Semester and one week following the beginning of 2nd semester. After that, we halt schedule changes in order for teachers to be able to finalize their rosters. The only exception to this is if a student is placed in LD or Reading Lab classes after school begins, at which point their schedule is changed at that time.

What does a typical schedule look like?

At the beginning of the school year, you will get a schedule for both first and second semesters. It will show the 7 class periods of the day, the time and location of the class, and the teacher. For the Spring Semester, your schedule (which your child receives before Winter Break) will only show the courses taken for the Spring Semester.

Who do I contact to get homework assignments if my child is going to be absent?

If your child is absent from school for two or more days, you will need to contact the counseling office by 8:30 AM on the third day of the absence. The counseling office will contact the teachers for homework assignments. It is the parent's or student's responsibility to come to the counseling office to pick up the work at the end of that day.
On a one-day absence, students are to contact their teachers for make-up work upon return to school.

How long does my child have to get his or her makeup work in?

The secondary attendance policy at Broken Arrow Public Schools allows two days for each day of absence to make up the work missed when a student returns to school.

How can I get information on how my child is doing in class?

There are several ways you can do this. You can always call and leave a voice mail on the teacher's extension asking them to contact you. If you have a completed ETA form on file this year, you can email the teacher asking for information. If your child uses the assignment notebook and the teacher is signing it, you can write a note and have your child point it out to the teacher.

If you want a grade check on a frequent basis, you will need to contact your child's teachers to make those arrangements. Several teachers send out grade checks on the 3rd week regardless of whether the parent requests it or not, but that is an individual teacher's decision.

The Counseling Office does not have access to current grades. If you feel that a parent/teacher conference would be beneficial, you can call the Counseling Office at 918.259.4350 extension 2177 to make an appointment or contact your child's individual teacher.

How does my school receive funding?

Each school site has various funding options at their disposal depending on the nature of their purchase. School activity funds, bond funds, and general fund are all funding sources that a school site may utilize for their daily operations.

Below is a summary of the items that are funded from the District for Childers Middle School:

General Fund allocation:  $12,427
Fine Arts allocation:  $1,000
Drama allocation:  $200
Music allocation:  $2,000
PE allocation:  $750
Bond Site:  $7,500
Bond Media allocation:  $5,655